With the US technological markets being flooded with a plethora of dedicated server providers, it makes it a herculean task to pick the best out of the lot. But to arrive at this decision, you need to do a little bit of groundwork. This includes pinpointing your requirements and matching your requirements with the services offered by the US-based web hosting companies. Factors such as security, speed and uptime offered by them also should be considered.
Below is an in-depth rundown of the features offered by the US-based dedicated server providers that will help you sign up with the best out of the many.
Striking Characteristics of US-Based Dedicated Server Providers
For your convenience, we have chosen to highlight the characteristics of the dedicated server providers under the important heads of technology and data center teamed with other important considerations. Let us now look into the technology aspect of dedicated server providers based in the US and what they bring to your table.
- Power of the processor
Since a server is powered by a processor, it makes sense to pick a processor that is in line with your requirements and offers you the most of RAM. Intel and AMD are the processor giants that are making waves in the dedicated servers’ sphere.
You need to look into the cores of these offerings to come up with a right choice. A Xeon or dual Xeon server can be extremely useful for specialized applications like video-transcoding and virtualization. So, it pays you to be called a CPU geek to sail through the numerous processor options that are available in the US market and pick the best that serves you the best.
Memory space is another notable characteristic that helps you make the right choice. Undoubtedly, a server which offers you more RAM can become your top bet. Since the amount of RAM has a direct reference to the speed of your server, the efficiency of your server becomes a function of memory. A larger memory allocation prompts a swift loading of your website. Hence, it is always better to pick a US based dedicated server provider who promises you more RAM.
Spade work done by you will help you uncover the traffic your website is poised to experience. When you get this data point about website traffic, you can pick a bandwidth that matches your specifications. High traffic websites like those demanding you to run scripts, stream multimedia files and load HD pictures in a jiffy can bank on dedicated servers which offer enhanced bandwidth.
You need to delve deep into your website storage requirements so that you can come to an intelligent decision about hard drives. RAID ‘O’ and RAID ‘I’ are the most promising drives that can be picked up to safeguard your data against data loss that occurs during a hardware failure. Hence you can partner with a dedicated server provider who employs the concept of mirror copying that is a striking characteristic of RAID hard drives.
- Operating System
Again, you need to be clear of your requirements so that you can pick a dedicated server running on Windows or a Linux platform. And to arrive at this decision, you need to look into the nature of your application.
- Application Requirements
Delve deep into your application requirements before you zero in on a Windows or Linux dedicated server provider. A Linux Dedicated Server provider can be your best bet if you are looking to run an application that does not call for a Microsoft license. Alternatively, you can use it to employ LAMP or MEAN stack. On the flipside, if you are looking to host ASP.NET, MS SQL or Microsoft IIS, then a Windows Dedicated Server can become your best friend.
Your Data Center Requirements
Next in the list of basic qualities of a US based Dedicated Server provider is the one that provides a one-stop solution to all your data center requirements alongside promising a great deal of data security. It is also the responsibility of the data center to match your traffic needs so that you can come up with a right choice concerning the type of dedicated server you would need.
Below are the typical characteristics that you should look for so that you can match your data center requirements with a befitting dedicated server provider.
- The 4 Tiers of a Data Center
It is important to know that there are 4 tiers of data center. This breakdown shows ratings and differences between them based on the specifications of redundancy and uptime.
Here is a brief explanation of the 4 tiers of a data center.
Tier 1: This section demonstrates 99.67% uptime without any redundancy. Additionally, you can experience an annual downtime which is close to 28.8 hours.
Tier 2: Guaranteeing you a 99.74% uptime, this section demonstrates partial redundancy in cooling and power. Speaking of downtime, a tier 2 data center is susceptible to 22 hours of annual downtime.
Tier 3: With a significant 99.98% uptime, this is an N+1 fault tolerant option that is susceptible to a low 1.6 hours of downtime in a year.
Tier 4: Tagged as a promising data center tier, this section offers a significant 99.9% uptime with a 2N+1 fully redundant infrastructure. With regards to downtime, you will experience a very low 26.3 minutes of downtime, during an entire year.
- Security of Your Data Center is Paramount
Before you sign the dotted line with a dedicated server hosting provider, you need to ponder over the following questions concerning safety mechanisms, power supply, access to data, hardware constraints and those predominantly concerning the privacy and security of your data.
For your benefit, we shed light on the open-ended questions that should be answered by the provider so that he will be able to convince you of his abilities.
- Is the data center susceptible to unauthorized access that can be misused by outsiders?
- What are the safety mechanisms in place to ward off hacker attacks?
- In what way can the provider safeguard your data and infrastructure during a power failure?
- In the event your server fails, will the ripples be felt on your data? Is your data secure under such conditions?
- In the event of a fire, who is the SPOC that will help you resolve the issue?
- What will happen if a natural disaster strikes?
- What are the steps taken by the provider to ensure that your data is protected at all times?
- In the event of a data loss, how can you retrieve the lost data?
These 8 questions concerning the physical and technical make up of your data center need to be answered by the Dedicated Server Hosting provider.
- An In-depth Analysis of Your Requirements
You should perform a great deal of groundwork before you sign up with a Dedicated Server Hosting provider. Considering these parameters will help you better analyze your requirements so that you can work around the collated data points and pick the best hosting provider.
- The Type of Server That Suits You The Best
The choice of a server depends on your activity. You can pick a server from amongst these:
- A Print Server
- A File Server
- A Communication Server
- A Domain Server
- An Application Server
- A Database Server
- What is the quantum of website traffic that you anticipate in a month?
- You can consider employing a server that offers you high computing power if you are planning to run a resource hungry application.
- You can make a choice between a Windows Dedicated Server and a Linux Dedicated Server.
- Notwithstanding the fact that choosing a dedicated server provider pinches your pocket, you can enjoy a good return on investment provided you pick the best out of the lot.
Other Important Considerations
Here are some additional yet important considerations that will help you rope in the best Dedicated Server hosting provider based in the US.
- Customer Feedback – An Important Data Point: You can check out a host of customer reviews that speak about the performance levels of dedicated server hosting providers based in the USA.
- Responsive to Issues and Queries: You can delve into the details such as the uptime, their responsiveness towards queries and issues along with the turnaround time to resolve your concerns.
- Additional Free Services: You can also enquire about the providers in the US offering free additional services like DDoS protection and mitigation. If you find that one of them offers you such free services, you can bank on such providers with a feeling that the provider is attuned to a high level of customer service.
- Backup Mechanism: Last but not the least, you can look out for a befitting Dedicated Server hosting provider who ensures that your data is backed up before your server goes live. In the event the provider does not guarantee this aspect, it is best to avoid all such US providers who can put your data security and privacy to risk.
Easing the process of zeroing in on the best Dedicated Server hosting provider in the US, the above considerations which when given a serious thought will help you in more ways than one. While you are prepared to shell down dollars as an investment into a dedicated server, you will be at the receiving end of an array of benefits offered by a professional and customer-centric hosting provider. Check out the above considerations and then make a judgment call to sign up with the best US-based Dedicated Server provider.