Virtual Private Servers(VPS) has gained immense popularity over a couple of years owing to the performance and functionality advancements in the virtualization technologies. In order to experience the benefit of utilizing own dedicated servers, numerous customers are upgrading their existing Linux shared hosting packages to Linux servers. With the presence of Linux Security Model (LSM), Linux VPS are significantly more secure when compared with other operating systems, yet they are not perfect and are vulnerable to attacks. Being acquainted of the risks and outcomes will help you to maintain a balance between usability and security. It is necessary to adopt a methodology that will shield your server from the prominent attacks along with the efficient administration.
The fundamental action you need to do when you set on a new VPS is to set up a protected environment custom fitted to your needs. In this article, let’s have a look at some of the most common security measures to be taken in a Linux server environment. This isn’t a comprehensive rundown and does not cover configuration details, but rather it will cover the fundamental strides for securing a Linux-based VPS.
Configure a Firewall
Firewalls take a note of the traffic headed in and out of your server. If you want a truly secure VPS, you need to enable and configure VPS. Initially, your server should be set to utilize only the networking ports that are absolutely necessary for all the standard and legitimate services. Then set up your firewall, which poses as a barrier between the general internet traffic and your machine. Firewalls deny in and outgoing traffic, at the same time protects the rest of the ports from security breaches. Some of the popular Linux firewalls are IPTables, UFW Firewall, NFTables, IP6Tables etc
Utilize SSH For Secure Login
When managing a server where you do not have local access, you should sign in remotely. The most secure approach to sign into a remote server is by utilizing the SSH which offers end-to-end encryption to burrow insecure traffic over a secure connection.
It is obvious that one cannot hack SSH when they can’t discover it. In order, to prevent the malignant scripts from directly connecting to default port (22), you need to change the SSH port number. Implementing a solution like fail2ban helps with the general security of your SSH configuration. They monitor log files to determine if the remote system is a legitimate user, if not they temporarily ban future traffic from the associated IP address.
Set GnuPG Encryption
To add even more security, you can facilitate login using a matching private key which is so complex and brute-forcing is not practical. For this, you need to add a public SSH key on a server that can only be decrypted by a “private key” which is available only to the intended recipient.
Enable Sudo Access
Every Linux VPS possess the username as “root” in default. This encourages hackers to crack the password by attempting brute force attacks. In order to defend from such security threats, you need to deactivate the root login option and create another username. To execute root level commands, you should use “sudo” command and It is always advisable to create unique user accounts for each user and service on your Linux VPS. Each user should be set with the required permissions and privileges in order to complete their task and the rest of the permissions and privileges should be kept inaccessible. Ensure that you disable all unnecessary user accounts who no longer need access to your system.
Replace FTP With SFTP
FTP is a protocol that is inherently insecure and is vulnerable to packet sniffing. SFTP is “FTP over SSH” otherwise known as “secure FTP”. SFTP encrypts all the data which includes the files that are being transferred and credentials.
Security Patching is an important task in securing your Linux VPS. Outdated systems may have security holes and are vulnerable to intrusion attacks. Hence, Security updates are released on a regular basis to prevent hackers from intruding into your servers. Hence, ensure that you make use of the available package management tools to keep your system up-to-date.
Partition Your Disk
In order to keep operating system files away from third-party programs, user files, and tmp files you need to partition your disk. For added security, you can also disable “nosuid” and “noexec” on the operating system partition.
Install Intrusion Detection Systems
You can effectively detect suspicious activities such as DoS attacks and port scans by installing intrusion detection systems which are available in the market in bulk. Some of the popular intrusion detection systems are RKHunter, Bro, Psad, Aide etc. They monitor and analyze the internals of a computing application.
Hopefully, this article has managed to acquaint you with the general security practices to ensure your Linux VPS is shielded from malicious attacks. Since you are in charge of your server’s security, guarantee you stay cautious against some the most widely recognized security threats. Even though securing Linux VPS servers is a tedious task which invests a lot of time and effort, it is an essential part of server administration. To stay ahead of hackers keep auditing and evaluating your system and the solutions continuously.
A trade-off between performance and costing brings Virtual Private Servers (VPS) into the picture. VPS hosting is a perfect alternative to enjoy more horsepower compared to Shared Hosting. In terms of budgetary constraints, a VPS is much more economical than dedicated hosting. If you are scouting for a reliable, scalable and affordable monthly pricing, you can sign up with a Virtual Private Server (VPS) provider who will offer you a perfect blend of benefits including uptime and timely support.
For the benefit of all those who are keen on identifying the best VPS providers, here are a dozen of them that will be making waves in 2018.
- An initial 50% discount for the first month followed by additional discounts for the 1st year
- Free WHM or cPanel licenses powered by enterprise-grade CentOS
- Avail cost-free server management of updates and patches
- Faster and secure hosting is guaranteed through free SSDs and an SSL certificate
- A Cloud-based infrastructure that takes care of real-time redundancy
- Requiring just 4 minutes as set up time, InMotion.com offers a disk space ranging between 75 GB and 260 GB SSD
- Enjoy world-class bandwidth, powered by 10 Tbps Internet Backbone
- Seamless and rapid deployment of servers across the global network supported by online assistance
- Provision to host your servers on an extremely reliable network that promises you uninterrupted availability
- Round-the-clock technical support coming from expert professionals
- Exclusively offers VPS hosting services to Linux-based servers
- Offers unlimited data transfers every month supported by cloud-storage plans
- All those users who are conversant with website administration can sign up with DreamHost and make the most of an array of hosting benefits that are in store for you
- Access to server resources from enhanced virtualization
- Enjoy instant provisioning
- Enhanced scalability coming from the Cloud
- Make the most of the feature-rich cPanel control panel
- 24/7 technical assistance
- Demanding 4 minutes of set up time, JustHost.com offers a disk space ranging between 30 GB and 240 GB
- A 50% discount in the 1st month’s bill
- Enjoy the benefit of 2-4 cores along with 4-16 GB RAM
- Make the most of the seamless migration across the multiple Bluehost shared plans
- Along with redundant storage, you also have an optional feature of SiteLock security
- With s set up time of 5 minutes, you can enjoy a disk space ranging between 30 GB and 240 GB SSD
- Enjoy instant deployment and scaling of your server requirements
- With a provision to estimate monthly costs, you will not be burdened by overage fees
- Guaranteed server resources and RAM
- Built-in fully managed services along with the power to monitor site loads and address any issues that might arise
- Unconditional money-back guarantee at anytime
- Requiring 6 minutes of set up time, FatCow provides a disk space ranging between 40 GB and 120 GB
- Depending on your requirements, you can easily scale up, deploy and grow your server
- Grab the benefits of a high-speed mirrored SAN storage
- Make the most of the pre-installed CGI, Curl, Rails and Perl scripts
- An easy-to-use cPanel control panel
- 6 minutes is all that is needed to setup iPage to derive the benefits of a disk space between 40 GB and 120 GB
- Enjoy a full root access along with a simplified introduction to all the beginners of VPS hosting
- Choice between complete or semi-managed options
- Make the most of a redundant network supported by a multi-layered network security
- Optional cPanel support
- Requiring a setup time of 7 minutes, HostGator provides you with a disk space ranging between 25 GB and 3 TB
- Affordability comes in the form of cost-free website charges along with domain name and script transfer
- Excellent VPS hosting plans coupled with quality customer service
- You can set up either Windows or Linux based servers with utmost ease
- Tailor made for small and big businesses, Hostwinds takes pride in its unlimited email and monthly data transfers
- With LiquidWeb, you will be liable to pay only for the resources you consume on a daily basis
- Provides API access along with cPanel
- Enjoy 5 TB of outgoing bandwidth along with a cost-free incoming bandwidth
- Offers instant provisioning coupled with SSD speed
- Make the most of the free Storm Firewall and real-time server monitoring capabilities
- Allowing you to set up the LiquidWeb in 7 minutes, you can be at the receiving end of disk space ranging between 50 GB and 1.6 TB SSD
- Provides a host of capable website building tools
- Arvixe supports unlimited monthly data, email and domain transfers
- Be it a Linux or Windows based server, Arvixe through its array of hosting plans attracts VPS users in more ways than one
- You can top up your Linux VPS plans at 3 GB of RAM and 100 GB of storage
- A Windows VPS plan enables you to opt for 4 GB of RAM and 100 GB of storage
- Avail a plethora of website-hosting options
- Provides excellent technical support services to customers
- Making the most of a host of useful Sidekick walkthroughs, you can bank on the VPS hosting services offered by Mediatemple
- Exclusively crafted for Linux based servers, Mediatemple allows you 8 TB of monthly data transfers supported by 64 GB of RAM and a huge 600 GB of storage space
Tagged as a feature-stacked web hosting service, InMotionHosting offers a plethora of benefits to customers. In view of the below-listed features, you can make a well-informed move of signing up with InMotion.com for all your VPS requirements.
Tagged as a leading provider of dedicated servers along with virtualization, private cloud and hosting services for enterprises across the globe, FDC Servers has announced a host of attractive “New Year Sale” offers for 2018. You can check out the 4 different special deals that FDC Servers so that you can make the most of the unmetered and dedicated bandwidths it offers at affordable prices. If you wish to delve deep into the advantages of signing up with FDC Servers, the following is the list that makes FDC servers stand out from the rest.
If your business operations demand lots of security features in addition to the use of superior domain management tools, then you can bank on DreamHost as your top VPS provider.
JustHost.com is another contender in the list of Best VPS providers of 2018. Here are some of the benefits of partnering with JustHost.com.
Partnering with Bluehost.com for all your VPS requirements comes with an assortment of benefits including the accreditation coming from the team of WordPress. Here is a list of the advantages you will be entitled to when you base your decision comparing the price of VPS plans against performance, With Bluehost, you can have the cake and eat it too!
If you are looking for customer-centric VPS plans coupled with ample storage at an affordable price, then FatCow can become your top bet. Offering an assortment of fully managed VPS plans, FatCow offers an easy-to-use cPanel. Here is the rundown of the benefits of signing up with FatCow.
If you are one of those tech-savvy VPS users who is looking for affordable VPS hosting and cPanel support but lack the time or skill to work through a self-managed system, then iPage.com comes as your top choice. You can look into the advantages that iPage has in store for you and then sign up with them.
If you are novice webmaster looking for a reliable web hosting service, then look no further and sign up with HostGator. Offering a plethora of useful and affordable plans to small enterprises, here is the list of benefits of partnering with HostGator.
Your dream to build highly functional and user-friendly websites can become a reality with the robust web hosting services offered by Hostwinds.
Uptime and technical support are the two promising features of LiquidWeb. Tagged as a flexible and feature-centric online hosting provider, LiquidWeb comes across as a pricey proposition. On the flipside, you can make the most of the VPS packages that it offers that are supported by an unparalleled customer service.
If you dream of building a website that is not only affordable but also packed with a number of features, then Arvixe should be on your radar. Attracting all those who are planning to build or migrate to a site built on ASP.Net, Windows’ based VPS packages from Arvixe come as a star attraction.
Users who are looking to build WordPress powered or Linux based websites can sign up with Mediatemple.
Contrasting the various performance levels of a VPS environment against the storage and price tags, these 12 VPS hosting providers will rule the roost, attracting VPS users to benefit in more ways than one. All in an attempt to host a rock-solid VPS server, you can check out the above-mentioned benefits of every option and make a well-informed choice of what suits you the best.
Virtual Private Server (VPS) is a virtualized server offering capabilities similar to a dedicated server but in a shared hosting environment. Technically speaking, a VPS server synergizes the benefits of a dedicated hosting with those of shared hosting. Allowing you to rent a portion of the web server space without having to set up a server, a VPS hosting facilitates you to run many virtualized operating systems on one machine.
Consider this scenario as an explanation to the above details.
If your laptop runs on Windows 7 as its operating system, you don’t have to reboot your system to run an application that runs on Linux platform. This is the striking benefit of a VPS which you can avail.
To understand more about VPS hosting, let us now delve deep into the advantages of this option. According to the opening lines of this blog, you are already informed of the fact that a VPS hosting brings in the best of both the worlds; the capabilities of a dedicated server in a shared environment.
- Privacy – A Function Which Secures Your Data
- Ability to Customize
- Span of Control
- Make the Most of Hardware Resources
When you are not sharing your operating system with other users, it secures your data preventing others to access your company-specific information.
Customization is the second benefit that can be put to maximum use through VPS hosting. Allowing you to run various applications on multiple platforms including PHP, Apache or MySQL, VPS hosting allows you to make changes to the server matching your specific needs.
Better control is another positive in favor of VPS hosting. No doubt, you are sharing server space with other VPS servers. But this does not call for the rebooting of a server when you are trying to install certain applications. This way, you are safe when you don’t have to get adversely affected by the actions of other users on the VPS.
VPS hosting allows you to utilize all the hardware resources that are attached to your website. This option permits you to consume all the RAM that is allotted to you at any point of time. This is a striking contrast to what a shared hosting offers when you share all the hardware resources with other users. Through shared hosting you run the risk of non-availability of memory space when you are in dire need for it.
Where to Find a 10Gbps VPS Provider?
After chalking out the benefits of VPS hosting, let us now move on to the second most important section of this write up; Where to find a 10Gbps VPS provider?
Making its strong presence felt in 13 North American and European Union locations since its inception in 2001, FDC Servers offers 10Gbps VPS with unmetered connectivity. Featuring a Tier1 bandwidth, FDC Servers, headquartered in Chicago specializes in providing enterprise data centers with a flexible monthly billing provision to its global clientele.
FDC Servers Offers Customized Services
With a provision for IPv4 and IPv6 address space, FDC Servers offers flexible service and customized options to clients. Allowing free reboots, you also have the luxury of Operating System reinstalls. Along with hastened deployment, the affordable plans of FDC Servers come with volume discounts. Adding to the list of advantages of signing up with FDC Servers, you can also become a part of the attractive reseller programs that it offers.
A Sneak Peek into Various Plans of 10Gbps VPS
The RAM variants come in as 1GB, 2GB, 4GB and 8GB. All the plans are unmetered supported by 100GB, 150GB, 300GB and 600GB SSD (Solid State Drive). That means a 10Gbps Unmetered plan with a 2GB RAM and 150GB SSD generates a monthly bill of approximately $180.
With a monthly fee ranging from $150 to $220, these servers support the 64-bit OS architecture. If you are looking for a cPanel hosting, then an additional $11 will be added to your monthly bill. In contrast, a direct admin hosting can come with an additional $5.5 bill per month.
Sign Up with FDC Servers for all your VPS requirements
Allowing you to browse from the long list of VPS plans, you can choose a plan matching your specific needs. The FDC website allows you to select your preferred option of configuration followed by clicking the payment tab. Finally, a confirmation about a successful payment transaction will enable you to be at the receiving end of hassle-free installation and maintenance of your 10Gbps VPS.